Spare Rib magazine. May 2013-present.
Assisting with the relaunch of the iconic Spare Rib magazine. Admin, writing news and features, contributing ideas, proofreading, social media, helping to organise events.
Freelance. September 2012-present.
- Meet Bethany: “I’ve always been a storyteller and a gob-shite” – What The Frock! comedy
- Breaking the glass ceiling – Warwick Knowledge Centre, University of Warwick
- Meet Jayde: “I like to surprise” – What The Frock! comedy
- Nicola Baird: your interviewer – Islington Faces blog
- Meet Danielle: “If every gig was like What The Frock! people would love doing comedy” – What The Frock! comedy
Women’s Views on News. June 2012-present.
Researching, writing and uploading woman-focused news on a fortnightly rota.
- Historic Indian school welcomes girls for first time
- Cherie Blair tells young women to be financially self-reliant
- Photos of breastfeeding servicewomen spark military row
- Vatican condemns nun’s book on sexuality
- Vagina Monologues performed in protest against ‘Vaginagate’
- England women’s football team beat Netherlands 1-0
- Manchester police launch scheme to protect victims of domestic violence
- More than half of UK tradesmen think wolf whistling is chauvinistic
- Eaves charity to host fundraising poker night in aid of vulnerable women
- Judge tells woman to “adjust” to her husband’s domestic abuse
- Domestic violence not caused by “bad weather”
- Where are all the women in journalism?
- Refugees in London: two stories
The F Word. 2011-present.
The Guardian. April-May 2013.
Work experience – News.
Working with the education correspondent, contacting universities.
Watford Observer and St Albans & Harpenden Review (Newsquest). April 2013.
Work experience – News.
Assisting reporters, door-knocking, telephone interviews, analysing spreadsheet data on political donations, sub-editing an advertising feature, compiling information about local theatre, music, dance and comedy events for the what’s on listings.
- Teen injured in alleged baseball and meat cleaver attack
- St Albans and Harpenden London Marathon runners raise thousands for charity
- South west Hertfordshire runners take part in London Marathon
- Harpenden school celebrates excellent Ofsted report
- Council to reapply for funding for new museum
- Fundraiser to swap her horse for a camel in charity race
- Watford Conservative Association cashes in on business backers
- Watford Liberal Democrats mainly funded by councillor donations
- Unions, pharmaceutical company and party members donate to Watford Labour
The Student Journals. October 2011-April 2013.
Deputy Editor, Administrator, content manager, contributor.
Responsible for liaising with editors, sub-editors, content uploaders, and contributors, responding to general enquiries, uploading articles and accompanying visual media, keeping the site up to date. Helped organise the first TSJ conference for aspiring young journalists.
- Just say no to Dorries
- Uni Lad set to return
- Liveblogged: The Glass Ceiling: Fact or Fiction?
- Charities like CRASAC demonstrate why International Women’s Day is still so necessary
- Interview with Cath Elliott and Kate Smurthwaite
- In Defence of: The 1967 Abortion Act
- What The Frock! 3
- A taste of Southeast Asia
- Useful tips, resources and articles for wannabe hacks
- Interview: Bidisha
Islington Now. September 2012-March 2013.
Reporter, features writer and sub-editor.
1st-7th March 2013: Print production editor, responsible for the production of a 16-page, tabloid size, mid-market weekly newspaper – working primarily on layout, design, and sub-editing.
- Drayton Park School raises nearly half a million for new art block
- Olympic-themed quiz night raises £2,000 for Highbury Roundhouse
- Islington Council accused of moving goal posts
- Highbury Greens urge council to tackle “killer” air pollution
- Islington pub showcases young writer’s debut play
- Review: The Deep Space at the Old Red Lion theatre
- Newington Green graffiti celebrates Wollstonecraft
- Man arrested in connection with Highbury balcony fall death
- Waiting time for rehousing domestic violence victims doubles
- Vicky Pryce’s time in Holloway: famous past inmates
- From Clerkenwell or not from Clerkenwell, that is the question
- What’s On over Easter for the family
The Wharf (Trinity Mirror). January 2013.
Work experience – News and Features.
Research, interviews, producing news articles, NIBs, hotel reviews, and features on food, theatre, fitness and women entrepreneurs, plus a Valentine’s gift guide.
- Rising to the challenge of the 600 calorie lunch (pdf)
- Paddle and pedal on the river for a healthier body (pdf)
- Writer weaves unsettling myth from modern worry (pdf)
- Games’ legacy is seen in grass roots uptake (pdf)
- Gifts to say I love you (pdf)
Metro. December 2012.
Work experience – In Focus.
Research and interviews for 950 word news features, including one feature that was pitched and written prior to the placement, and one Christmas feature worked on during my week in the office.
- Starbucks, Amazon and Google tax avoidance: What is the impact on developing countries?
- Christmas gifts… What do we do with gold, frankincense and myrrh?
Press Association. December 2012.
Work experience – News.
Assisted with filming of RMT rail fare protest outside Euston station.
- Policeman admits child porn charges (PA Newswire – view image here.)
- Beatles memorabilia up for auction (PA Newswire – view image here.)
- Rare Bronte letters fetch £185,000 (PA Newswire – view image here.)
- Rothko painting vandal jailed (PA Newswire – view image here.)
- Millionaire wife’s cocaine death (PA Newswire – view image here.)..
The Boar. Warwick student newspaper, 2009-2012.
The Huffington Post.
The Daily Telegraph. July 2008-July 2010.
Work experience – News.
- Married teacher banned after her ‘emotional interest with vulnerable student’
- Sarah Palin joins ranks of Twitter bloopers
- Cost of being a wedding guest: £547
- Microsoft’s virtual human Milo on show in Britain
- Well-educated people think they are more left wing
- Champagne socialists ‘not as left wing as they think they are‘
- Paul the psychic octopus and friends
- Sangin: a province blighted by conflict
- Celebrity technophobes who have no time for the internet
- Kent village pond ‘ruined because of council red tape planning row’
- Forrest Gump and Kill Bill remakes are internet hit
- Primary school league tables: 1,200 exams ‘lost’ after marking fiasco
- Spotify to take on iTunes in online music market
- Children aged eight enlisted as council snoopers (front page lead on the Saturday paper – view image here.)
The Times. April 2010.
Work experience – Weekend.
The Guardian. August 2009.
Work experience – Economics.
- High street hopes as retail sales rise
- Deflationary fears force Mervyn King into sea change on monetary policy
- Factory outlook best in a year
What Digital Camera magazine (IPC Media).
August 2007. Work experience.
Coach and Bus Week magazine (Rouncy Media).
July 2006. Work experience.