The Vagina Monologues


Every year, around Women’s Week, Warwick Anti-Sexism Society put on a production of Eve Ensler’s The Vagina Monologues. This year I lost my Vagina Monologues virginity, and it was fantastic!

The play grew out of the ‘Vagina Interviews’ Ensler conducted with women all over the world and poignantly captures the embarrassment, the pleasure, the pain and the conflict associated with vaginas.

The 13 monologues, all performed by Warwick students on a stage adorned with ‘Vagina Art’, covered arousal, hair, the beauty industry, rape, violence against cis and trans women, birth, sex and (my personal favourite, thanks to the actress’s total lack of inhibition) orgasms! The performances were absolutely brilliant – empowering, thought-provoking and deeply moving. I laughed and cried in equal measures, and my boyfriend described it as “enlightening”.

I think “enlightening” is probably quite accurate. You don’t realise how rarely we talk about vaginas until you spend 90 minutes listening to people talking freely and openly about them, without a glimmer of self-consciousness or shame.

There is a final performance of The Vagina Monologues this Friday, 9th March, in Bath Place, Leamington Spa. If you can make it, I’d thoroughly recommend it.

80% of profits from the production go to the wonderful CRASAC (Coventry Rape and Sexual Abuse Centre) and the remaining 20% goes to Ensler’s own V-Day foundation, so not only is it a great night out but it supports two really important causes.

Related posts:

4 thoughts on “The Vagina Monologues

Leave a Reply